Tuesday, January 14, 2014

First the Worst Second the Best

This is what my Christmas
consisted of my family drinking Coca Cola!
This picture I took when experimenting with the bokeh technique. The definition of bokeh is "The visual quality of the out-of-focus areas of a photographic image."  Pretty much that means the lights in the background are blurred circles, or in some cases interesting shapes. 

This is the first time I took this shot this way, there are many things wrong with it. The first thing that you may notice is that it is hard to clearly read what it says on the bottle, because I was focusing to so much on the tree light background I forgot to remember to look at the object in front of me. The first time there was no other light in the room but the light from the tree. Also it bugs me that you can see the reflection of the computer screen on the tv. I don't really like the off tilt of the bottle. When I saw the mistakes in this picture I decided to do it again.

THE SECOND! This was my second try doing the same shot with slight changes. The challenge is to have a first picture you like the potential but it just didn't turn out how you wanted, and to try again and create what you wanted. (because photo shop can help, but cant always fix everything.)  First things first I needed to fix the clarity on the coke bottle. The reason why you couldn't see it the first time is because there was no light shining on the front of the coke bottle only one the back, so I put a light behind me to fix that. I also centered it because the light that shines though the bottle looks better when the light is directly behind the bottle, and it just fists into the shape of the tree nicely, and Ta da! I got what I wanted.

Photography Tip: Make sure your object or subject has the proper lighting before you worry about the background.

Thanks for reading and leave a comment if you want! I would love to hear your thoughts!

No comments:

Post a Comment